For some people, the word detox evokes images of someone living on smoothies and fruit juice for a week and maybe spending a lot of time in the bathroom. For others, there’s still that image of a bathroom, or maybe someone rolling around in bed as they come off the drugs they’ve been addicted to. No matter the image you see, detoxing your body (or even your skin) is kind of similar no matter what you’re trying to banish.
What Is Detox, In General?
As a noun, the dictionary defines detox as “a process or period of time in which one abstains from or rids the body of toxic or unhealthy substances; detoxification.” As a verb, it is defined as “abstain from or rid the body of toxic or unhealthy substances.”
So, as you can see, not only could you detox from drugs or alcohol, but you can also detox from things like sugar (another unhealthy substance you may be putting into your body). You can even detox your skin. The human skin absorbs all kinds of things, from lotion to pollution.
Detoxing From Drugs And Alcohol
This is probably the most intense thing to detox from. If you’ve ever watched a TV show or movie about drugs and watched someone try to get off them, you know that the detox process means a lot of pain, sweating, and even vomiting. It’s not a pretty sight.
Drugs cause a lot of harm to the human body, so it kind of makes sense that they’d make a fuss getting pushed out. That’s why detox centers have drugs that help with the detox. Doing it without can even lead to death.
There are many dietary reasons people detox. Sometimes they do it to lose weight, sometimes it’s because of health issues, sometimes they just want to get off a certain food and clear it from their system altogether. There are pills that can be used for detox, but many people prefer to detox the natural way.
The natural way means using things like a fruit cleanse. They eat or drink a certain dietary regimen for a certain amount of days. What they put into their body helps flush out the toxins and stuff that they’ve stored up in fat cells and elsewhere.
Just like you build up toxins inside your body, in your liver and elsewhere, you also build them up in your skin. These toxins can cause blemishes, acne, and even sensitive skin. However, there are things you can do on the outside to specifically detox your skin.
Look for facials and face masks that have detoxifying properties. Something with charcoal in it will surely pull out all of the impurities in your skin. You can buy pre-made masks or research recipes to make your own at home with natural ingredients from your kitchen.
Food holds a lot of power when it comes to our health and happiness. It can make us sick or protect us from the worst illnesses. If you’re looking for some morsels that will boost your immune system and protect your body from attack, here are some foods you should try.
- Ginger and Fennel Tea
Both ginger and fennel are excellent for not only preventing illness, but also helping you recover quickly. They can decrease inflammation, reduce a sore throat, lessen nausea, and ease chronic pain. The best way to serve these two ingredients when you’re feeling ill is through a ginger and fennel infused tea, like Immune Tea from Dr. Smood. It will leave you feeling energized and refreshed.
- Spinach and Kale Smoothies
Green smoothies are part of a popular health fad that effectively boosts your immune system strength. Leafy greens like spinach and kale are packed with vitamin C, as well as antioxidants and beta carotene. These elements have proven very useful for fighting off infections and strengthening immunity.
Mix these ingredients with berries and fruits to improve the flavor of the smoothie and maximize the taste. Try any of these recipes from 100 Days of Real Food.
- Berry Parfait
Berries themselves are full of vitamin C and antioxidants, which we know are great for immunity. Blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries in particular are great for the body.
Combine these berries with yogurt, which can stimulate the immune system and fight disease. Look for “live and active cultures” on the label, and opt for Greek yogurt when you want to reduce your sugar intake.
Also, avoid purchasing a parfait from a fast food service or cafe, as there will be extra sugar and less fresh ingredients. Instead, purchase from an organic cafe or make your own with this recipe from Orgain.com
- Chicken and Vegetable Soup
Most people associate immunity strength with fruits and vegetables, but studies show that poultry can also help you prevent illness and make you feel better when you’re sick. There’s plenty of vitamin B-6 in poultry that can promote the creation of healthy red blood cells.
When put in a soup with plenty of vegetables, the benefits of chicken are doubled. The broth will make you feel better when you’re ill, and the carrots, celery, and other vegetables will give your immune system the vitamins it needs to stay healthy. Try this recipe from Six Sisters Stuff!
- Beef, Barley, and Vegetable Stew
Like chicken soup, stew can have healing properties that can ease cold symptoms and make you feel better. What’s more, stew has plenty of vitamins and minerals you need for optimum health.
Beef is loaded with zinc, which is a common health deficiency in adults that compromises health. Grains like barley also have fiber and antioxidant capabilities that can chase away bad bacteria. Finally, the vegetables in beef stew have the vitamins essential for a stronger immune system. When combined together in a recipe like this one from Skinny Kitchen, it’s a delicious way to fight off illness.
We all know the watermelon. It is an incredibly delicious and mouthwatering fruit. Almost everyone around the world likes to eat the fruit. Like many people you may also just eat the fruit and throw away the seeds, you do not know the benefits that these seeds offer for your health, skin, and hair. Like many other fruit seeds, the seeds of watermelon have an abundance of proteins, minerals and fatty acids. These seeds are also rich in potassium, manganese, zinc, Vitamin B Folate, copper, phosphorus, and zinc. Another fact which you may not know is that these seeds provide a lot of energy; you will get 600 calories from a 100 gram of watermelon seeds.
Watermelon is quite famous in Asian cuisines. People of the sub-continent love this fruit. They also use the seeds to garnish the salads and eat raw. People in Nigeria use these seeds to prepare soups. The oil from the watermelon seeds is beneficial for your hair.
The love of food is the most fascinating one, you get to try all sorts of food. The world of food is full of variety from cultural to tantalizing cuisine, so if you are looking for best restaurants in Amsterdam try out the restaurants mentioned on wijnspijs.nl
Benefits for Health
You must not throw these seeds away. The watermelon seeds have an abundance of minerals, vitamins, and nutrients good for the health. You can eat these seeds raw. Chew these seeds properly before you swallow otherwise the stomach will not digest them. Here are a few health benefits of these seeds
- You cannot neglect the importance of amino acids for good health. Our body produces many amino acids, but a few of these come from the diet. These are the ones which you need to provide you body by eating food that is rich in amino acids such as the watermelon seeds. The Watermelon seeds are rich in glutamic and tryptophan amino acids. These seeds are also rich in Lysine which is helpful for calcium absorption. It is also rich in arginine. It is a compound that is suitable for the sexual health, metabolism, and also the cardiovascular system.
- Magnesium is vital for proper functioning of the heart, and thankfully the watermelon seeds are rich in magnesium. If you have just 80 grams of watermelon seeds, it will fulfill your daily requirement for magnesium. It helps retain normal blood pressure, proper functioning of the heart, and also helps with metabolism.
- Lycopene is an excellent compound for improving the male fertility, and Watermelon seeds are rich in lycopene.
- If you are on Vitamin B supplements, then consider eating these seeds. Watermelon seeds are rich in Vitamin B. these seeds have the Vitamin B which has Folate, Niacin, Thiamine, vitamin B6, riboflavin, and also the Pantothenic acid. All these nutrients are excellent to maintain a healthy nervous system, immunity, and healthy blood.
- The watermelon seeds also have properties to treat diabetes. You can prepare the tonic quickly by boiling the watermelon seeds. Take the water every day just like tea.
- The watermelon seeds also have properties to sharpen the memory.
- The watermelon seeds are an excellent source of energy. These seeds have both the polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat that includes omega-6. So, if you eat watermelon seeds, you will get a healthy dosage of essential fat.
- Many countries around the world have people suffering from protein deficiency. It leads to deadly diseases. As the watermelon seeds are rich in proteins, it makes them perfect for getting rid of the protein deficiencies. If you eat one cup of watermelon seeds, you will get 30g protein. It is quite a significant amount of protein. It will help you grow; make your muscles and bones strong. It also makes your skin healthier.