Chewy, crunchy or melt in your mouth. No matter what their form or texture, chocolate chip cookies will always be a universal favorite. But just because it’s a classic does not mean you can’t experiment with it. If you are craving for something different here are some mouthwatering and downright amazing twists you can put on the usual chocolate chip cookie. These recipes will tickle the tastebuds of curious foodies of all types, from the adventurous eater to food god level:
Level 1: Adventurous Eater
Bacon Chocolate Chip
Ah, bacon. The crowning glory of any breakfast feast. Bacon isn’t just great for pizza and breakfast anymore, though. In recent years, it has found its way into many unlikely concoctions from artisanal chocolate to brownies. Now it’s time for your favorite cookie to feature this savory ingredient. Here’s how:
- 1 pound cut smoked bacon
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Cook bacon until it is crispy. Once done, place it on top of paper napkins to lessen the grease.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and arrange parchment paper on the cookie sheets.
- Sift the flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the melted butter and sugars until they are well blended.
- Beat in the vanilla, egg and egg yolk until the mixture is light and creamy.
- Mix in the sifted flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add in the chocolate chips and chopped bacon and stir.
- Use 1 tablespoon to put the cookie dough on the cookie sheets. Leave an allowance of 3 inches between cookies.
- Bake from 15 to 17 minutes and leave to cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes.
Level 2: Exotic Epicure
Avocado Chocolate Chip
Avocados are a tropical daydream with their smooth texture, rich taste and multitude of health benefits. In recent years, this fruit has become even more popular thanks to all the things you can do with it. You can enjoy it blended into a yummy smoothie or spread over golden slices of toast. Why not enjoy it with your favorite chocolate chip cookie as well? Are you ready to let your tastebuds go on an exotic tropical adventure?
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup mashed avocado
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- a handful of chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease your cookie sheets.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Stir the avocado, coconut oil, vanilla extract and maple syrup together.
- Mix in the wt ingredients into the flour, baking soda and salt mixture.
- Mold the batter into balls about 1” in diameter.
- Arrange the balls on the cookie sheet and flatten them with the palm of your hand.
- Bake from 11 to 13 minutes.
- Allow to cool away from the oven.
Level 3: Rockstar Ravager
Whiskey Chocolate Chip
Some people love snacks with a kick. If you’re one of those people, then how about you make your chocolate chip cookies worthy of rock-stardom by mixing it with whiskey? That’s right, don’t just serve whiskey on the rocks. Start serving it in the form of crumbly, melt-in-your-mouth chocolate chip cookies. Perfect this recipe and you might just have a crowd of foodie fans fawning after you.
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate wafers not cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon bourbon
- 1 vanilla bean (split)
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- Process the 3/4 cup of dark chocolate wafers in a food processor until they are pea-sized.
- Whisk the all-purpose flour, rye flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Beat the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in an electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg, vanilla and bourbon and beat until well blended.
- Set the mixer speed to low and then gradually add the dry ingredients until they blend.
- Fold in the chocolate and the last pieces of wafers.
- Divide the dough into 16 balls and then place on a rimmed sheet.
- Tightly wrap it with plastic wrap and chill for at least 3 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Place the rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the vanilla seeds with the sea salt into a bowl.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Arrange the dough balls on the onto a baking sheet and flatten with the palm of hand until each ball is about 3/4” thick.
- Sprinkle the balls with vanilla salt.
- Bake the cookies and half way through, rotate the sheets. Bake until the edges become golden brown.
- Allow to cool on the cookie sheets before letting them completely.
Level 4: Food God
With marijuana legalization spreading like wildfire across the United States, it’s unsurprising that this plant has also become a star ingredient in many recipes. Take your baking skills to an unprecedented high (pun intended) by infusing your chocolate chip cookies with cannabis. Try this recipe out if you’re daring enough to experiment and reach food god level with your kitchen concoctions.
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cannabutter
- 1 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease your baking sheets.
- Combine the all-purpose flour, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the canna butter with the white and brown sugar until creamy.
- Add in the vanilla extract and egg once the mixture has set.
- Keep mixing until the mixture becomes light before putting in the chocolate chips.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture in the medium bowl. Keep mixing until the cookie dough looks firm.
- Scoop out the mixture using a spoon and form 1/4 cup cookies on the cookie sheet. Spread the dough equally.
- Put the sheet into the preheated oven and bake from 18 to 25 minutes.
- Once the cookies look golden brown, allow the cookies to cool away from the oven.